Wednesday, May 8, 2013

re·view : Shadow and Bone Leigh Bardugo





Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) Leigh Bardugo


syn·op·sis 

The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?

The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfill her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.

But what of Mal, Alina’s childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can’t she ever quite forget him?

Glorious. Epic. Irresistible. Romance.


re·view 


I saw this book awhile ago, I remember thinking the concept was just SO interesting, I freacking loved the idea of a reinvented Russia. The thing is, though, I like to do my research, since I buy way too many books, and I did just that.

SO MUCH DISAPPOINTMENT, so many bad reviews, so I decided to pass, but the book was always in the back of my my mind.
Until I saw Steph Sinclair 's review. bought it the same day, and I can not say how happy I am about that.

I LOVE the setting. I think is different and refreshing, I want to be a Grisha. After a lot of books where the main character goes to school, I thought I was over that, but nope. Turns out it just has to be done write.Also, the writing is easy and flows so nicely.

Pacing: I'm not going to say much other than I read this in one sitting, I could not put it down. Started before bed, around 11 and read it until I finished it at 5 in the morning.

Plot: I managed to predict some of the stuff, not how most of it happened, a win for me. 

Characters: we have our main character Alina, I like that she was just this regular girl. Not beautiful, but not ugly either, her job was also middle classish. It seams that today there are a lot of extremes, but she was just right.The Darkling was just itchy, witch you know, was very good for the propose of the story :PMal was.. like every guy? Only sees what is important when he is about to lose it? But I gotta say, what a comeback, that speech? humrrun..

Now, there is a love triangle, but is done so write. I won't get in to it, because I don't want to spoil it.

Was this coherent enough? I hope so.. just go and read it, the sequel is about to came out!




No comments:

Post a Comment