Thursday, May 16, 2013

re·view : Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder



Poison Study (Study, #1)  by Maria V. Snyder



syn·op·sis 

Choose: A quick death…Or slow poison...

About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered an extraordinary reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace—and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia.

And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust—and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison.

As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can't control. Her life is threatened again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren't so clear...



re·view 


I LOVED it. Everything about it.
I was actually surprised at how much I loved it, the YA genera had been disappointing me, but this one was a good one to start 2013. At the same time, since the theme is so heavy(torture and rape isnt exacly fluffy literature), I rather think of this as adult fiction.

pacing : was really nice and constant, I could not put the book down.

characters : are also so good. Valek and Yelena are great and everything, but I LOVED Ari and Janco, they are my favorites, badass and they had the best dialog. Snyder could write a book with them as main characters, I would totally read that.

“Before Kiki and I headed toward the Keep, I thanked my friends.
“For what? We didn’t do anything,” Janco grumbled.
“For caring enough to follow my guards. And the next time, I might need the help.”
“There better not be a next time,” Ari said, giving me a stern look.
“How touching,” Janco said, pretending to wipe his eyes.
“Get going, Yelena. I don’t want you to see me cry.” He faked a sniffle.
“I’m sure your ego can handle it,” I said. “Or will you need to beat up some trainees to feel like a man again?”
“Very funny,” he said.” 

The romance is very well developed, is not the "OMG, I see you from across the room and I would die for you" kind of thing. Snyder actually gives the characters time to get to know each other. There is also the fact that I didn't imagine them as a couple until later in the book. The reader gets to know the characters at the same rhythm as they get to know each other. Made me feel all warm inside. 
Oh, also love, love, love the snapy dialog. hahaha

“Yelena, you've driven me crazy. You've caused me considerable trouble and I've contemplated ending your life twice since I've known you." Valek's warm breath in my ear sent a shiver down my spine.
"But you’ve slipped under my skin, invaded my blood and seized my heart.”
“That sounds more like a poison than a person,” was all I could say. His confession had both shocked and thrilled me.
“Exactly,” Valek replied. “You have poisoned me.” 


It wasn't the most surprising book, but I still really liked the way the plot developed. Especially enjoy that Yelena isn't enerving, most of the time the reader understand why the decisions are being made instead of shaking your head the whole book asking yourself why the main character must be just so stupid, if you know what I mean. 
I really liked it, recommend to anyone.

Maria V. Snyder renewing my faith on YA since 2013. :P






No comments:

Post a Comment