Saturday, June 1, 2013

re·view : The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey





The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave #1) by Rick Yancey

4.5 Stars.


syn·op·sis 


The Passage meets Ender’s Game in an epic new series from award-winning author Rick Yancey.

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.





re·view 


The reader is thrown head first in this world. Yancey just starts the reader up in a stream of consciousness. And that is how we meet Cassie.
Cassie already survived four waves, which an alien attack. First wave, the power goes down, second, water goes up and wipes up the coasts, third is a plague and fourth is aliens that looks just like people hunting humans. 
Since we start off at the fourth wave, and is up to you to read the book and figure out what is the fifth, we learn what happened before tough her memories.

characters : Cassie is a normal teenage girl with all the "first world problems"(her hair is too curly, the boy she has a crush on doesn't know she exists..) and because of that I saw people saying that she turned in to a badass with an M16 too fast. My response to that is, what would you do when all the people you know are either dead or being hunted? Is an either/or situation. Either you run or you fight. You learn.
Sure she still has her moments, breaks down, cries and that makes her more realistic.
I love Zombie, I think his struggle is almost palpable, won't say anything else, because you know, spoilers.
Now Evan, I have to say I love the character, I don't necessarily like him as a person. Every time I read stuff about him, the hair on the back of my neck went up. Too fishy for my taste.
My favorite was Bear, always there observing.. kinda like Wilson in Castaway.. love, love, love!

The pacing is good and I love how the author wove the story together, how he presents questions and by the end of the book, they are answered. The plot line is just so well constructed.

Also, the dialog.. snarky, witty, funny.. oooh.. favorite thing in books, and done so well! Se how I can't write complete sentences anymore? Feelings, that is why.

The only thing I didn't like, is the way Yancey whote the girl in love, sure there were good moments and the dialog was awesome. The problem is when we are in Cassie's head, I can only describe is as awkward.. there was flinching and double takes..

Overall, I SO recomend it!!
Go read it, trust me. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment