Friday, May 17, 2013

re·view : Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger



Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School #1) by Gail Carriger



syn·op·sis 

It's one thing to learn to curtsy properly. It's quite another to learn to curtsy and throw a knife at the same time. Welcome to Finishing School.

Fourteen-year-old Sophronia is a great trial to her poor mother. Sophronia is more interested in dismantling clocks and climbing trees than proper manners—and the family can only hope that company never sees her atrocious curtsy. Mrs. Temminick is desperate for her daughter to become a proper lady. So she enrolls Sophronia in Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.

But Sophronia soon realizes the school is not quite what her mother might have hoped. At Mademoiselle Geraldine's, young ladies learn to finish...everything. Certainly, they learn the fine arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but they also learn to deal out death, diversion, and espionage—in the politest possible ways, of course. Sophronia and her friends are in for a rousing first year's education.

Set in the same world as the Parasol Protectorate, this YA series debut is filled with all the saucy adventure and droll humor Gail Carriger's legions of fans have come to adore.



re·view 

I got this because of a review I saw on youtube, and thank God I did!

I really like it, I have been disappointed with YA recently, but this is such a good idea, can't wait to read her adult series!

The whole finessing school setting is just so interesting, and I just couldn't help but make myself some tea every time i was about to start the next chapter.

Did I say I loved the pacing? Yeah, I love it, there is always something happening, which made putting the book down to do little things like sleeping very difficult, but who needs it right?

Also, I really appreciate that I don't want to scream at Sophronia at every turn, she wasn't frustrating at all.

The plot also evolved in such a natural way, Carriger made me believe in stuff that otherwise I would just laugh and snort at. Flying school? Evil genius?
Yes please.

The story is witty and charming, will be waiting, not so patiently, for the next one. Meanwhile it made me really think I'm missing on the steampunk thing, since I never gave a second thought before. Now I got to get me some more.

Oh, well. At least I have the whole adult series to go though. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment