Wednesday, May 15, 2013

re·view : Legend by Marie Lu



Legend (Legend #1) by Marie Lu 

syn·op·sis 

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.
From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.



re·view 


Aaand, another point to YA.

The pacing is fantastic! Everything is very fast, the characters have a ticking clock above their heads, very Jack Bowerish, it just hooked me from the beginning,

“Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time. ” - Day

I think the world building aspect was very well done, I rather not have the whole information from the background. It is a lot more fun when we slowly find out stuff though out the series.

The characters were very well developed, I loved how they have their own shit to worry about. I don't like when one of the main characters just lives for the other, they don't really have a life anymore.
They are also very resourceful, witch some people had a problem with, but I actually enjoyed. It gave the book a very Iron Man 3 feel.
I loved the development of June, from the girl prodigy to the badass that thinks for herself. I wasn't too bothered by how long it took her to figure some stuff out, just because she was brainwashed from the beginning. 

Day is just badassary all around. Its the guy you think is bad, a rebel. Not the kind you would choose to be around, but he is really one o the good ones.

“I don't know if anyone's ever told you this", he begins. He doesn't blush, and his eyes don't dart away. Instead I find myself starring into a pair of oceans - one perfect, the other blemished by that tiny ripple. "You're very attractive."
I've been complimented on my appearance before. But never in his tone of voice. Of all the things he's said, I don't know why this catches me off guard. But it startles me so much that without thinking I blurt out, "I could say the same about you." I pause. "In case you didn't know."
A slow grin spreads across his face. "Oh, trust me. I know.” 

Did I say I loved the dialog? Yeah, I loved the dialog.




No comments:

Post a Comment