Tuesday, May 7, 2013

re·view : Blood Red Road by Moira Young




Blood Red Road (Dust Lands #1) by Moira Young


syn·op·sis 

Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when four cloaked horsemen capture Lugh, Saba's world is shattered, and she embarks on a quest to get him back. 

Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the outside world, Saba discovers she is a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba’s unrelenting search for Lugh stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization. 


re·view 

The way it is written was just plain strange when I started reading it. Don't give me wrong, I got the idea, but it was still to foreign and I thought that there was no way I would like it, but that's where I went wrong, after about 50 pages, I didn't even notice anymore. 
The world building was amazing, so complex. Its nice and a little enervating to see a distopian world were there are no shining buildings and people flying, we were back to panem et circuses - I hope thats how you spell it.

At first I thought it would drag on forever, it was just Saba or when she was with Em, but the author timed everything perfectly. New characters are introduced at the right time so the story is always moving forward. 

Little weird that Saba is so obsessed with her brother and doesn't care about her sister. I like that she finally warmed up to Em, but maybe thats just because I could not live without my own sister..

It is a quest, witch I didn't expect, but turned out I really liked the whole journey aspect of it.

The characters were my favorite part. And ooh, I LOVED that all the woman are so badass, no damsels in distress. ;)
I love the complexity and mystery of the characters, I kept feeling there was something about them that I didn't know, kept on my toes.
Also loved Nero!

Now to the annoying part: can someone please put Emmi in handcuffs or something. At one point the whole ordeal just got plain frustrating.
The other thing was not exactly annoying, I just wanted to have more background on the Wreckers. Wanted to know how that society got to that point, thats always interesting. Hoping there will be more in the next books.

No comments:

Post a Comment