Tuesday, August 6, 2013

re·view : The Archived by Victoria Schwab





The Archived  (The Archived, #1) by Victoria Schwab
4 Stars.



syn·op·sis 


Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books.

Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures that only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive.

Da first brought Mackenzie Bishop here four years ago, when she was twelve years old, frightened but determined to prove herself. Now Da is dead, and Mac has grown into what he once was, a ruthless Keeper, tasked with stopping often—violent Histories from waking up and getting out. Because of her job, she lies to the people she loves, and she knows fear for what it is: a useful tool for staying alive.

Being a Keeper isn’t just dangerous—it’s a constant reminder of those Mac has lost. Da’s death was hard enough, but now her little brother is gone too. Mac starts to wonder about the boundary between living and dying, sleeping and waking. In the Archive, the dead must never be disturbed. And yet, someone is deliberately altering Histories, erasing essential chapters. Unless Mac can piece together what remains, the Archive itself might crumble and fall.

In this haunting, richly imagined novel, Victoria Schwab reveals the thin lines between past and present, love and pain, trust and deceit, unbearable loss and hard-won redemption.

- Goodreads


re·view 




I only hear two things about this novel, is either that the book is amazing or that it is slow paced. I will say it is a little bit of both.

The writing is beautiful and the writing alone is what made me go though the first half of the novel, because the story is just boring. The good thing is that after the first half, the story completely comes together. After that, I was hooked, immersed on the story.

When the pacing picks up, also does the story line and I started to realize just how well plotted it actually is. I love the premise, and how creepy it felt at times.

I'm ok with the love interests, I mean, I could see the villain coming for miles, but is understandable. We can see why Mac does what she does and everything.
It is still not the best love plot line I ever saw. I like that all of it happened as a side plot, so if you dislike books with love interests, this one won't bother you too much.

I really like the character, but I gotta say the best part were the parents. Am I the only one who loves when these characters have actual living, breathing parents who actually have a say in their lives? Just yes.

Now to what I didn't like, the first thing was the back and forth. Sometimes is better to show how things happened, and we learn a lot during does, but I think it could be balanced a better. If Mac just told some of the story and then the other part came from the flashbacks, the rhythm of the book could be a little better.

Second thing was the villain, could see it coming, but i still like how things turned out.

What really surprised me were the revelations about the Library. I new something was wrong, it just felt off, but I never saw that coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment