Monday, May 20, 2013

re·view : Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare




The infernal Devices Trilogy
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare 
3 Stars.
syn·op·sis 


Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy. 


Tessa Gray should be happy - aren't all brides happy?
Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute.
A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her.




re·view 



Review for Clockwork Angel HERE.
Review for Clockwork Prince HERE

** spoiler alert ** 

OK, I'm really not sure about this.
There will be spoilers by the way, so if you don't want them, get out now.
Byeee.


I love the shadowhunter world. I think is awesome and I wish I thought about it myself.
I'm ok with the fact that Clare recycled the structure of the first series to write this one with the excuse that it is all because they were related. Didn't you see the fine print?

However what I'm not ok with is the fact that when I start a new series, I expect it to be nicely raped up in the end. I don't want the author to give me the answers to the universe, just the ones for the questions presented on the book.
Like how the hell did Mortmain disappear from the institute when Tess pretends to be dead? Did he have magic or not? Some of them keep saying that he can't - and yet..
Whats is the connection with Will's family and Shanghai? I don't care how he planned everything, there is no way he would know about Tess and Will three years in advance.
Also, why does will can see ghosts? Just so Clare could revive another character that should stayed dead?

What also pissed me off is the build up for a battle, and then.. argh.
Seems like she didn't want a battle because she didn't want to kill characters.
Where I think that for a novel to be epic, it needs its battle. It's ok to kill a character or two. She prepared the readers for James death, he should have stayed dead. Even if she had killed Henry or one of the Lightwoods.

Oh, another thing that bothers me, what was Cecily doing on this book? Just so everyone could end up getting married? And she could pass on the ruby necklace? Really?
It could be just me, but it felt like dead weight.
Most of this book felt like the love interest were more important. The love interest and the fact that Clare didn't want conflict with the fan base.
Because really? That ending was just a cop-out.
The whole trilogy she insinuates that Tess really loves Will and they are perfect for each other. Then in the last minute she decides that no, they were the same, she loves them equally and both of them is ok with that. WHAT?
Don't even get me started on that sex scene, it was just like she just needed it on the book and it seemed like a good place as any. Really? houwers after Jem is dead? I don't care what the excuse was. Not. cool.

Oh, that epilogue..
First thing is that Clare did not need for Tess to be immortal, she could have said that Angel blood is stronger - witch she does, by the way - and kept Tessa mortal, with will and happy.
But she has to make team Jem happy, so she abandons all her family. Again, WHAT?
And them she goes in to the sunset with the perspective of burring Jem in the future. *sigh*

Is it just me or all Clare wanted was to show us how clever she thinks she is?
How she can tie up both series while making a lll the fandoms happy?
.not




No comments:

Post a Comment